McHenry County Bar Association
LAWYER-TO-LAWYER MENTORING PROGRAM
A partnership with the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism
McHenry County Bar Association announces the MCBA Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program, a partnership with the ILSCCP. We welcome you to apply to participate in the McHenry County Bar Association Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program.
New Lawyer Mentee:
Rule 795(d)(12) requires that completion of the mentoring program “occurs during the first three years of the mentee’s practice in Illinois.” Therefore, the minimum standards for a New Lawyer Mentee are:
- Be admitted to practice in Illinois no more than two years prior to the date of beginning the program.
- Be registered on the Illinois ARDC Master Roll of Attorneys as active.Practice law in Illinois or intend to practice law in Illinois.
- New lawyers who meet these eligibility requirements and choose to particpate in the Lawyer-to-Lawyer mentoring program shall complete and submit the New Lawyer Application to the Program Administrator.
Experienced Lawyer Mentor:
A lawyer seeking to serve as a mentor shall meet the following minimum standards:
- Be registered on the Illinois ARDC Master Roll of Attorneys as active and in good standing.
- Be admitted to practice law in Illinois for not less than six years.
- Never have been suspended or disbarred from the practice of law in any state or jurisdiction and have no formal disciplinary complaint pending.
- Lawyers meeting these eligibility requirements and choosing to participate in a Lawyer-to-Lawyer mentoring program shall complete and submit a Mentor Application to the Program Administrator.
Mentor & New Lawyer Mentee Requirements:
- Participate in program orientation
- Sign Mentoring Agreement and provide to Program Administrator
- Develop Mentoring Plan and provide to Program Administrator
- Participate in a minimum of eight face-to-face meetings
- Complete the action items selected in Mentoring Plan
- Attest to completion and provide attestation to the Program Administrator
- Complete Attorney Application: Mentoring CLE Certificate to obtain professional responsibility credit
In developing their Mentoring Plan, the mentor and mentee shall select and complete at least one specific action item in each of the following five categories of the professional responsibility CLE requirement:
- Legal Ethics
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Wellness, Mental Health and Addiction
Suggested activities are provided.
Earn Professional Responsibility Credit for Participating
Lawyers completing a comprehensive year-long structured mentoring program, as either a mentor or mentee, may earn credit equal to the minimum professional responsibility credit during the two-year reporting period of completion, provided that the mentoring plan is preapproved by the Commission on Professionalism, the completion is attested to by both mentor and mentee, and completion occurs during the first three years of the mentee’s practice in Illinois.
Important Website Resources:
McHenry County Bar Association Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program website:
IL Commission on Professionalism Mentor Program Website:
ILSCCP Mentoring Program Guide, ILSCCP Mentoring Plan, and ILSCCP Mentoring Resources